Can I Use PS4 VR Headset on PS5? Compatibility Explored
This site contains affiliate links to products, and we may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
As the highly anticipated PlayStation 5 console has finally arrived, many gamers are asking themselves, “Can I use my PS4 VR headset on PS5?”
In this comprehensive blog post, we will dive into the compatibility of these two gaming generations and explore how you can maximize your virtual reality experience.
- PS4 VR headset compatibility with PS5:
- Sony confirmed compatibility, allowing users to continue using their existing headsets.
- Seamless transition between consoles for virtual reality gaming enthusiasts.
- Required accessories for compatibility:
- PlayStation Camera Adapter is needed to connect the PS4 VR headset to the PS5.
- DualShock 4 or PlayStation Move controllers are essential for motion tracking.
- New features enhancing the virtual reality experience:
- PS5’s powerful hardware offers improved graphics and faster loading times.
- PS4 VR headset on PS5 provides a more immersive experience.
- Limitations of using a PS4 VR headset on PS5:
- Graphics and performance improvements may be limited compared to newer VR devices.
- Lack of haptic feedback support from the DualSense controller.
- Potential compatibility issues with future games.
- Need for a separate PS5 Camera Adapter, not included with the console.
Overview of PS4 VR Headset Compatibility with PS5
The release of the PlayStation 5 (PS5) has brought a new gaming experience to players worldwide.
With its enhanced graphics, faster loading times, and advanced features, many gamers are curious about whether they can use their existing PlayStation 4 (PS4) Virtual Reality (VR) headset on this next-generation console.
Fortunately, Sony has confirmed that the PS4 VR headset, also known as PlayStation VR or PSVR, is compatible with the PS5.
This means you can continue enjoying immersive virtual reality experiences without having to purchase a new headset specifically designed for the latest console.
A Look at Backward Compatibility
Sony’s decision to make the PS4 VR headset compatible with its newest console demonstrates its commitment to supporting backward compatibility.
By allowing users to enjoy both older and newer games in virtual reality using their existing hardware, Sony ensures a seamless transition between consoles for dedicated fans of virtual reality gaming.
Required Accessories for Compatibility
- PlayStation Camera Adapter: To connect your PS4 VR headset to your new PlayStation 5 console, you will need a special adapter called the PlayStation Camera Adapter. This accessory allows you to plug in your original PlayStation camera into one of your PS5’s USB ports.
- DualShock 4 or PlayStation Move Controllers: In addition to the adapter, you will also need either a DualShock 4 controller or a PlayStation Move controller for motion tracking. These are essential for interacting with virtual reality games and experiences.
Although most PSVR games should be compatible with the PS5, checking individual game compatibility before buying is recommended.
Sony has stated that most of their library should work without issue; however, it’s always best to check individual game compatibility before making any purchases.
New Features Enhancing Virtual Reality Experience
The powerful hardware in the PlayStation 5 offers significant improvements over its predecessor when it comes to virtual reality gaming.
With faster loading times and improved graphics capabilities, your PS4 VR headset on a PS5 can provide an even more immersive experience.
Benefits of Using a PS4 VR Headset on PS5
The compatibility of the PS4 VR headset with the new PlayStation 5 console brings several advantages for gamers and virtual reality enthusiasts alike.
In this section, we will discuss some of these benefits that make using your existing PS4 VR headset on a PS5 attractive.
Affordability and Value for Money
One significant advantage is cost savings. By providing the option to use existing PS4 VR headsets, Sony has enabled gamers to experience virtual reality on their latest gaming platform at a reduced cost while still taking advantage of their initial investment in the PlayStation ecosystem.
This move saves money and adds value to your initial investment in the PlayStation ecosystem.
Backward Compatibility with Existing Games Library
The PlayStation 5 supports backward compatibility with most PlayStation 4 games, including those designed for use with the PSVR system. As a result, you can enjoy your existing library of virtual reality titles without any additional purchases or upgrades required.
New Game Releases Optimized for Both Platforms
In addition to supporting older titles, many upcoming game releases are simultaneously being developed and optimized for both platforms.
These games will offer enhanced graphics and performance when played on a PlayStation 5 while still providing full support for your current PS4 VR headset setup.
Familiarity and Ease-of-use
- No learning curve: Since you’re already familiar with how your PS4 VR headset works, there’s no need to learn how to use a new device or adapt to an unfamiliar control scheme.
- Simple setup: Connecting your PS4 VR headset to the PlayStation 5 is straightforward and requires minimal effort. Effortless access to virtual reality gaming is enabled by the quick and easy setup of your PS4 VR headset.
Future-proofing Your Investment
Although Sony has not yet announced plans for a dedicated PlayStation 5 VR headset, using your existing PS4 VR equipment on the new console ensures that you’re ready for whatever comes next in the world of virtual reality gaming.
By maintaining compatibility with current hardware, Sony has provided gamers with a seamless transition from one generation of consoles to another while offering exciting technological and performance advancements.
Can I Use PS4 VR Headset on PS5?
The answer is yes if you’re wondering whether you can use your PS4 VR headset on the new PlayStation 5 console.
Follow these simple steps for a seamless setup and immersive gaming experience.
A. Gather Required Accessories
To connect your PS4 VR headset to the PS5, ensure that you have all necessary accessories at hand:
- PlayStation VR headset (CUH-ZVR1 or CUH-ZVR2)
- PlayStation Camera for PS4 (Model CUH-ZEY1 or CUH-ZEY2)
- PlayStation Camera adaptor
- Processor unit with power cable and USB cable (provided with the original purchase of the PlayStation VR system)
- HDMI cables (one provided with the original purchase of the PlayStation 5 console, one provided with the original purchase of the PlayStation VR system)
B. Set Up Your Console and Processor Unit
- Turn off both your TV and PlayStation 5 console.
- Connect one end of an HDMI cable to your TV’s HDMI port and plug its other end into the “TV” port on the back side of the processor unit.
- In the same manner as step two above, connect another HDMI cable from the “PS5” port on the processor unit to the HDMI port on your PlayStation 5 console.
- Plug in the power cable of the processor unit into an electrical outlet, and connect its USB cable from the front side of the processor unit to a USB port located at the rear side of the PS5 console.
C. Connect Your PlayStation Camera
You’ll need to set up the PlayStation Camera to enable tracking for your VR headset.
- Connect one end of the camera’s AUX cable to the adaptor’s input.
- Insert the other end of the adaptor into a USB Type-A port located at the rear side of your PS5 console.
- Place the camera atop or below the TV screen, ensuring it faces forward with no obstructions between it and where you plan to use the VR headset (recommended distance: approximately 6 feet).
D. Turn On Devices and Update Software
Finally, turn on both the TV and PS5 console; ensure that all devices are connected properly by checking the display output. If prompted, update system software as necessary before enjoying immersive virtual reality experiences with your PS4 VR headset.
Limitations of Using a PS4 VR Headset on PS5
While the compatibility of the PS4 VR headset with the PlayStation 5 console is an exciting prospect for gamers, there are some limitations to consider when using this older hardware on the new system. This section will explore the potential implications of these limitations on your virtual reality experience.
Graphics and Performance Improvements May Be Limited
The PlayStation 5 boasts significant graphical improvements over its predecessor, thanks to its powerful GPU and CPU combination.
However, since the PS4 VR headset was not designed for use with the PlayStation 5, users may find that certain games or experiences do not benefit from its graphical and performance enhancements.
Users may observe that certain titles or experiences might not appear as sharp or run as efficiently when utilized with the PS4 VR headset, which was developed for use on its prior console model, compared to if they were being played using a newer-generation virtual reality device crafted specifically for the PlayStation 5.
Lack of Haptic Feedback Support
The DualSense controller included with every PlayStation 5 features advanced haptic feedback technology that provides more immersive gameplay experiences by simulating various sensations, such as touch and resistance, during play sessions.
Unfortunately, this innovative feature is not supported by the PS4 VR headset’s Move controllers; therefore, players will miss out on experiencing this added layer of immersion while playing compatible titles in virtual reality mode.
Potential Compatibility Issues With Future Games
As developers continue creating new games optimized for PlayStation 5 hardware capabilities, there is no guarantee that all future releases will support backward compatibility with older peripherals like the PS4 VR headset.
While Sony has pledged ongoing support for their existing library of PS VR games, it is possible that some upcoming titles may require a new-generation VR headset to function correctly or deliver the best possible experience.
No Support for PS5 Camera Adapter
To use the PS4 VR headset on your PlayStation 5, an adapter for the older PlayStation Camera must be obtained separately as it is not included with the console.
Unfortunately, obtaining the adapter to use the PS4 VR headset with a PlayStation 5 requires an additional purchase. Additionally, using this setup means sacrificing some of the advanced camera features offered by the newer PlayStation 5 HD Camera accessory.
Alternatives to Using a PS4 VR Headset on PS5
If you’re seeking other ways to experience virtual reality on the PS5, a few alternatives are available. While using a PS4 VR headset is compatible with the new console, it may not provide the best possible experience due to its limitations.
A. Upcoming PlayStation VR2 (PSVR2)
The most anticipated alternative is Sony’s upcoming PlayStation VR2 (PSVR2). The upcoming PSVR2, designed exclusively for the PlayStation 5, is expected to deliver superior performance and visuals with improved comfort over its predecessor.
Once released, gamers can look forward to heightened immersion in their favorite games with the PlayStation VR2.
B. Third-Party Virtual Reality Headsets
Another option for experiencing virtual reality on your PlayStation 5 is using third-party headsets that are compatible with the console. Some popular choices include:
- Oculus Rift S: A high-quality PC-powered gaming headset that provides excellent visual fidelity and ergonomic design.
- HTC Vive Pro: A premium PC-based system offering stunning graphics quality and precise tracking capabilities.
- Valve Index: A cutting-edge device known for its exceptional audiovisual quality and finger-tracking controllers.
Take into account that if you are using a headset from an outside source, it may necessitate extra setup and compatibility tests, as well as potentially needing software updates to guarantee smooth integration with your PlayStation 5.
C. Cloud-Based Virtual Reality Services
If you’re interested in exploring virtual reality without investing in a dedicated headset, cloud-based VR services like Shadow or Vortex can provide access to high-quality gaming experiences through streaming technology.
By connecting to powerful, remote servers able to handle resource-demanding VR games, these platforms make it possible for users to enjoy virtual reality on their consoles, PCs or mobile devices without investing in a dedicated headset.
For those on a budget, cloud-based VR services offer an accessible way to experience the world of virtual reality without breaking the bank.
!! For more information about the different VR headsets on the market, check out this product specification list.
The PS4 VR headset is compatible with the PS5 console, allowing gamers to enjoy their favorite virtual reality games on a more advanced system. Connecting the two gadgets is uncomplicated. However, there are some confinements that customers should be aware of before making the switch.
If you’re looking for an affordable way to experience virtual reality on your PS5, using a PS4 VR headset is a great option.
However, investing in a dedicated VR headset for your PS5 may be worth considering if you want access to newer features and improved graphics.
Espen is the Director of PursuitMeta and has written extensively about Virtual Reality and VR Headsets for years. He is a consumer product expert and has personally tested VR Headsets for the last decade.