This site contains affiliate links to products, and we may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
When it comes to experiencing the immersive world of virtual reality, one might wonder what you need for PS4 virtual reality. As an expert in this field, I will guide you through the essentials and provide valuable insights into setting up your PlayStation VR system.
This blog post will delve into the various elements required to enjoy a full PlayStation VR experience, from discussing necessary hardware like the PlayStation 4 console and VR headset to understanding software requirements such as compatible games and applications.
Furthermore, we will address whether a TV is needed for PS4 VR gameplay and whether a regular PS4 can run these immersive experiences. Finally, we’ll delve into how virtual reality works with PlayStation 4 to create unforgettable gaming moments. So let’s dive in and discover what do you need for PS4 virtual reality!
- PlayStation VR (PS4 VR) is an immersive gaming experience that transports players into a three-dimensional world, offering new adventures and interactions with other gamers.
- To enjoy PS4 VR, you need a PlayStation VR headset, a PlayStation Camera for tracking, a PlayStation 4 console, PlayStation Move controllers for enhanced interaction, and compatible games or applications.
- While a TV is not necessary for PS4 VR, it can enhance the experience in certain situations, such as multiplayer gaming or navigating menus and settings.
- A regular PS4 console is compatible with PS4 VR, but the PS4 Pro offers improved graphics and performance in some games and applications.
- Virtual reality on PlayStation 4 works by combining the VR headset, motion tracking through the camera, and optional controllers to create an immersive gaming experience with a wide range of compatible games and applications.
What is PlayStation 4 Virtual Reality?
PlayStation 4 Virtual Reality (PS4 VR) is an immersive gaming experience that transports players into a three-dimensional world, allowing them to interact with their surroundings in real time.
The PS4 VR system revolutionizes gaming, allowing players to explore new worlds, embark on thrilling adventures, and interact with other gamers from around the world.
The PlayStation VR system works by utilizing a combination of hardware components and software applications designed specifically for virtual reality gaming on the PS4 console.
The headset tracks your head movements while you wear it, providing an unparalleled sense of presence within the game environment.
Additionally, motion controllers enable you to perform actions such as grabbing objects or wielding weapons with natural hand gestures.
Some popular titles available for PS4 VR include:
- Resident Evil Village
- Beat Saber
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR
- Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales
In addition to games, the PS4 VR system provides a curated selection of immersive videos that transport viewers into different worlds and cultures.
What Do You Need for PS4 Virtual Reality?
To play PlayStation 4 Virtual Reality, you will need the following:
- PlayStation VR headset: This is the core component of the PS4 VR system. It features a stereoscopic 3D display and motion-tracking technology that simulates depth and provides an immersive gaming experience.
- PlayStation Camera: This device tracks the position of the headset and motion controllers, allowing for accurate movement within the game environment.
- PlayStation 4 console: The PS4 gaming console powers the PS4 VR system. Both the standard PS4 and the PS4 Pro are compatible with PS4 VR.
- PlayStation Move controllers: These motion controllers allow for natural hand gestures and provide a more immersive gaming experience. If you already own existing PlayStation Move controllers, they can be used with the PS4 VR system.
- PS4 VR games: To play PS4 VR, you must purchase games compatible with the system. Some games offer free PS4 VR demos, allowing you to try them out before purchasing.
There are several options available for purchasing PS4 VR:
- Basic PS4 VR package: This package includes the PS4 VR headset and the PlayStation Camera.
- Complete PS4 VR package: This package includes the PS4 VR headset, the PlayStation Camera, and PlayStation Move controllers.
- PS4 VR combo packages: Some retailers offer PS4 VR bundles that include games and accessories.
It is important to note that PS4 VR requires physical space to play, and Sony recommends wiping down the headset and controllers with a clean cloth after each use. The system supports 120Hz and can be set up to achieve presence in a virtual environment.
An HDMI splitter may also be necessary to connect the PS4 console to the PS4 VR headset.
Overall, PS4 VR offers an accessible VR system for gamers who want to experience virtual reality without the need for high-end gaming PCs. While it may not offer the same level of immersion as systems like the Oculus Rift or HTC Vive, PS4 VR provides a high-quality VR headset and a range of PS4 VR games and titles to choose from.
What Equipment is Needed for PS4 VR?
You will need certain hardware components to experience virtual reality on your PS4; we’ll discuss these in the following section.
This section outlines the hardware components needed to utilize virtual reality on a PS4 system.
PlayStation VR Headset
The most important piece of equipment needed for PS4 VR is the PlayStation VR headset.
The PlayStation VR headset’s high-res OLED display and sophisticated motion tracking tech offer an incredibly immersive experience for users to enjoy content on PS4.
A PlayStation Camera is also required for PS4 VR as it tracks the movements of both your headset and controllers.
The camera ensures that your physical actions are accurately translated into the virtual environment, providing an engaging gaming experience.
DualShock 4 or PlayStation Move Controllers
You’ll also need either a DualShock 4 controller or one (or two) PlayStation Move controllers to interact with games and applications within the virtual environment.
While some titles can be played using only a standard DualShock 4 controller, others may require more precise motion control provided by the Move controllers.
A Compatible Game or Application
- Games: To fully enjoy your new setup, make sure you have a compatible game or application. A plethora of PS4 VR titles exist, from stimulating escapades to brain-teasing jaunts.
- Applications: In addition to gaming, there are also various applications that support PS4 VR, such as virtual tours and educational experiences. Check out the PlayStation Store for a wide selection of VR-compatible apps.
Optional: PlayStation 4 Pro Console
If you’re looking for an enhanced virtual reality experience on your PS4, consider upgrading to the more powerful PlayStation 4 Pro console.
While not required for using PS4 VR, this upgraded version of the console offers improved graphics and performance in certain games and applications.
In summary, to fully enjoy virtual reality on your PlayStation 4 console, make sure you have all necessary equipment, including a PlayStation VR headset, camera, controllers (DualShock 4 or Move), compatible games or applications, and optionally – a PS4 Pro console for better performance.
Ultimately, for PS4 VR fun, you’ll need a PlayStation VR headset and two Move motion controllers. To find out if a TV is necessary for the setup process, we will look at the next heading: Do You Need a TV for PS4 VR?
Do You Need a TV for PS4 VR?
Questioning whether television is necessary for virtual reality gaming on PlayStation 4? The response is no; however, in some cases, having one can elevate the overall experience.
The short answer is no; however, there are some instances where having a TV can enhance the overall experience.
The primary reason why you don’t need a TV for PS4 VR is that the PlayStation VR headset serves as its own display. Once connected to your console, the PlayStation VR headset provides an immersive visual and auditory experience right in front of you through built-in headphones or earbuds.
If you’re by yourself or just playing single-player titles, having no TV won’t make a difference to your gaming experience.
However, there are certain scenarios where using a TV can provide additional benefits:
- Social Screen: A feature called Social Screen allows others in the room to see what’s happening inside the virtual world while someone wears the headset. This way, friends and family members can join in on the fun by watching from their seats instead of crowding around one person wearing the headset.
- Mirroring Gameplay: Some multiplayer games allow users without headsets to participate via traditional controllers while viewing content on-screen. In these cases, having a television would be essential for those who want to play along with their friends using PSVR.
- Navigating Menus & Settings: While most settings related to virtual reality experiences can be accessed within the headset itself (such as adjusting camera position), navigating system menus may still require viewing them on an external screen like a TV.
In summary: while television is not strictly necessary for using PS4 VR, it can enhance the experience in certain situations. If you plan on playing multiplayer games or sharing your virtual reality adventures with others, having a TV connected to your PlayStation 4 console may be beneficial.
For those who don’t have access to a television or prefer not to use one, rest assured that you’ll still be able to enjoy immersive and engaging virtual reality experiences through your PlayStation VR headset alone.
Overall, possessing a television is not absolutely required for PS4 VR; however, it can offer an improved experience. Moving on, let’s explore whether or not a regular PS4 can run virtual reality games and experiences.
How Does Virtual Reality Work with PlayStation 4?
Integrating virtual reality (VR) technology into the gaming world has revolutionized how gamers experience their favorite titles.
The PlayStation 4 is no exception, offering immersive VR experiences through its dedicated hardware and software components.
PlayStation VR Headset
The PlayStation VR headset is a crucial component in bringing virtual reality to life on your PS4 console. The OLED screen offers a remarkable visual experience, with frame rates of up to 120 fps for an immersive gaming journey.
The cutting-edge optics provide an expansive view, enabling you to be fully absorbed in the virtual environment.
PS Camera and Motion Tracking
In order for the PS4 console to accurately track your movements within the virtual environment, it relies on both the PlayStation Camera and built-in motion sensors within the headset itself.
These work together seamlessly to detect position, orientation, and acceleration changes as you move around during gameplay.
- Gyroscope: A sensor inside the headset measures angular velocity or rotation speed along three axes: pitch (up/down), yaw (left/right), and roll (tilting).
- Accelerometer: Another sensor detects linear acceleration or movement along three axes: forward/backward, left/right, and up/down.
- Camera: Positioned near your TV or monitor; tracks LED lights located on various points of your headset’s exterior surface, providing accurate positional data.
PlayStation Move Controllers and DualShock 4
To further enhance the VR experience, players can use PlayStation Move motion controllers or a standard DualShock 4 controller.
Both options are tracked by the PlayStation Camera, allowing for precise in-game interactions such as grabbing objects, aiming weapons, or casting spells.
The choice between these two control methods often depends on personal preference and game compatibility.
VR-Compatible Games and Applications
Last but not least, you’ll need VR-compatible games to enjoy your PS4 virtual reality setup fully.
Additionally, some non-gaming applications allow users to explore new worlds or create their own immersive experiences using tools like Tilt Brush.
In summary, virtual reality on PlayStation 4 is made possible through a combination of dedicated hardware components such as the headset itself along with compatible software that brings unique gaming experiences to life.
What Do You Need for PS4 Virtual Reality?
If you want to experience virtual reality on your PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5 console, you will need the following equipment:
- A PlayStation VR headset
- A PlayStation Camera (either V1 or V2)
- A PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5 console
- An HDMI cable
- Optional: Two Move Motion Controllers (recommended for some games)
It’s important to ensure that you have enough space to move around safely while playing.
Is a Special PS4 Required for VR?
No, you don’t need a special version of the PS4 for virtual reality gaming. Both the original model and the newer PS4 Pro are compatible with the PlayStation VR system.
However, using a PS4 Pro may provide better performance and visuals in some games due to its enhanced hardware capabilities.
What Do You Need to Play a Game with VR?
To play a game in virtual reality on your PS4 or PS5 console, you will need:
- A compatible console (PS4/PS5)
- A PlayStation VR headset
- A PlayStation Camera
- Optional: Move Motion Controllers (if supported by the game)
- An HDMI cable connecting your console to a TV, projector, or display device
- Sufficient space for safe movement during gameplay
How Does Virtual Reality Work with PlayStation?
The PlayStation virtual reality experience is achieved through a PlayStation VR headset, which simulates a 3D environment and provides a stereoscopic display.
The PlayStation Camera tracks the position of the headset and the Move Motion Controllers, allowing for motion controls and an immersive experience. Some games also support the use of a DualShock 4 controller.
FAQs related to What Do You Need for PS4 Virtual Reality
Q1: What equipment do I need for PS4 Virtual Reality? A1: To experience PS4 Virtual Reality, you will need a PlayStation VR headset, a PlayStation Camera, a PlayStation 4 console, PlayStation Move controllers (optional but recommended), and compatible games or applications.
Q2: Can I play PS4 VR without a TV? A2: Yes, a TV is not necessary for PS4 VR. The PlayStation VR headset serves as its own display, providing an immersive visual and auditory experience. However, having a TV can enhance the experience in certain situations, such as multiplayer gaming or sharing the virtual world with others.
Q3: Do I need a special PS4 console for VR? A3: No, you don’t need a special version of the PS4 for virtual reality gaming. Both the original PS4 and the newer PS4 Pro are compatible with the PlayStation VR system. However, the PS4 Pro may offer better performance and visuals in some games.
Q4: What do I need to play a game in VR on PS4? A4: To play a game in virtual reality on your PS4, you will need a compatible console (PS4 or PS4 Pro), a PlayStation VR headset, a PlayStation Camera, and optionally, Move Motion Controllers (if supported by the game). You will also need an HDMI cable to connect your console to a display device and enough space for safe movement during gameplay.
Q5: How does virtual reality work with PlayStation? A5: Virtual reality on PlayStation works by combining the PlayStation VR headset, which provides a 3D environment and a stereoscopic display, with the PlayStation Camera for tracking the headset and motion controllers. The system tracks your movements, allowing for immersive gameplay experiences. Some games also support the use of a DualShock 4 controller.
!! For more information about the different VR headsets on the market, check out this product specification list.
With the basics of PS4 VR understood, it’s time to explore what hardware is needed for a full experience. To enjoy the full range of PS4 VR, you’ll need a headset, camera, and two Move controllers. You don’t necessarily need a TV for PS4 VR, but it can be helpful for others to watch your gameplay.
A regular PS4 can run VR with no problem as long as it meets the system requirements. Virtual reality works by tracking your head movements and adjusting the image accordingly in real time, giving you an immersive experience like never before.
If you’re ready to take on virtual reality gaming or just want to explore new worlds from home, then visit Virtual Reality today! We offer everything you need for PS4 virtual reality, including accessories and games!
Espen is the Director of PursuitMeta and has written extensively about Virtual Reality and VR Headsets for years. He is a consumer product expert and has personally tested VR Headsets for the last decade.